After eight years studying at UC, I actually think of New Zealand as my second home now. Kiwis are such welcoming, warm and laid back people. I’ve felt entirely comfortable being myself here – even though my culture as a Muslim Arab is very different.
Be prepared for fun times – markets, fairs, concerts and festivals are an important part of Christchurch life.
Christchurch hosts an enormous variety of events every year that provide experience and entertainment for people from around the region. Christchurch is rapidly changing and new things are popping up all the time.
For everyday entertainment, places to go and things to do check out
Here is just a sample of notable events on the Christchurch calendar:
- Cup and Show Week which includes the Canterbury A&P Show and New Zealand’s major horse racing week. 2012 was the Show’s 150th anniversary. This is a day for town to meet country and is a great way for visitors to see what happens in Canterbury’s rural heartland. www.theshow.co.nz
- Cup Week, 5 -12 November 2016. A week of horse racing that features the New Zealand Trotting Cup. www.nzcupandshow.co.nz
- Christmas in the Park. Every year Coca Cola sponsors a free concert in Hagley Park to celebrate the advent of summer. Usually around 100,000 people bring their rugs and picnic baskets to enjoy an evening of music and celebration. www.christmasinthepark.co.nz
- The World Buskers Festival in January . Buskers come from all over the world to perform and entertain. www.worldbuskersfestival.com
- Classical Sparks, early February each year. Another free concert in Hagley Park but this time with a classical theme followed by a great fireworks display. www.summertimes.co.nz
- The Chinese Lantern Festival, February each year.
- The Festival of Japan, Mid-March each year. http://japanday.jsc.org.nz
- Craft markets and Farmers’ produce markets are an important feature of life in Christchurch – a great way to find beautiful trinkets and treats or delicious, fresh food straight from the farm. Check out the variety of markets by visiting www.eventfinder.co.nz
Another great source of information about what’s on in Christchurch is: